Friday, June 26, 2015

#LoveWins and the PATH it took to get there!


November 18, 2003
I remember where I was on November 18, 2003 when Massachusetts declared a gay marriage ban unconstitutional.  I was working at an insurance investigations company sitting in my quaint office.  At the time, I was the token gay guy at that organization.  After all, it was insurance investigations.  Anyway…no one in the office seemed to understand the depth of my happiness and quest for equality, but in time, they would.   This was the very first time I felt less than in life.  Do you remember where you were?

November 4, 2008
I remember where I was on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 when California voters adopted a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage.  I was at the Abbey in West Hollywood.  We were all jumping for joy that Barack Obama had just won the presidency, however, the next moment when the California decision was announced, there was such a silent sound of devastation, it was eerie.  It was the second time I truly felt I was a lesser equal.  Do you remember where you were?

June 26, 2013
I remember where I was on June 26, 2013 when the Supreme Court ruled that the official proponents of Prop 8 lacked standing… and voila, marriage equality had returned to California.  I remember calling my parents in New Hampshire (literally, from the toilet) and all of us crying together.  Tears of happiness.  Tears of equality and tears of joy.  It was still, however, the third time in my life that I had felt a lesser human than those around me.  Simultaneously, it was one of the most freeing moments of my life.   It’s a bit challenging to explain, but there it was. Do you remember where you were?

June 26, 2015
Today, I know exactly where I was when my mother left me the most amazing voicemail with tears of glee and enthusiasm in her voice, stating that I could get married in any damn state in the United States.  I was in the arms of my new love, preparing for the day.  At that moment, I truly felt equal for the first time in 12 years.  It was a breathe of fresh air.  Too bad I'm in the middle of an allergy attack and can barely breathe.  Where were you this morning?

It has been a truly amazing journey.  I want to personally thank everyone I know, all the lawyers, #SCOTUS, (well, 5 of them anyway), my friends, and my family for their unwavering support.  We could not have done this without you.

It has been an incredible day for social.  #LoveWins; #LoveAlwaysWins; #SCOTUS; and #All50.  Now, I do feel equal in the eyes of the law.  Now, our journey continues to shift the mentality of those individuals who might not yet agree with the ruling of today, but will change in time.

WHAT'S NEXT?
Now, how about those Transgender Rights?  We still need those!!

Love you all.  In amazing gratitude.


FINAL THOUGHTS:
1)  I am happy to say that I have accepted a brand new BIG job.  Next week, I will start the transition to be the Head of U.S. HR for a children’s entertainment/toy company.  More to come…
2)  Happy Happy Father’s Day to all of the fathers out there.
3)  Stay tuned for my new website coming soon.  Woohoo!
4)  I am sooo excited to see “Inside Out” tonight with my new love.


No comments:

Post a Comment