Monday, September 9, 2013

IF NOTHING ELSE, THEY SHOULD HAVE TAUGHT ME THIS IN HIGH SCHOOL...


Click Here for Pic

Why didn’t they teach my this in high school?

Goal-setting and Goal-achieving!

How come we never learned to set goals, let alone achieve them in school?  I have asked myself this so many times throughout my life.  It would have been extremely helpful to pull that bag of tricks out of my “buttocks” whenever possible.

Some people know what they want to do when super young.  Sometimes I sigh after learning this, feeling a crazy combined sense of envy and jealousy.  Other times, however, I feel compassion.  Wow!  Doing the same thing for years and years and years. Alas, I have found, through research, the majority of “my” generation prefers to continually seek happiness in one position after another, eventually finding success on their own terms and through their own journey. 

Who knows if it’s more challenging to stay in the same job for twenty-five to thirty years OR to hop around from position to position every few years in a search to find true bliss and success all-in-one?  I’ll leave that question unanswered.  We all have to make these decisions on our own!

That being said, the only thing I’ve known my whole life is that I have a pretty big mission and that I will spend my entire life making sure the whole world listens to whatever it is I have inside of me and possess an inexplicable need to say.  I know that might seem vague, but I have truly, madly, and deeply had this same feeling my entire life.  When I am in alignment, success follows easily.  The further away I find myself, the more stagnant and scarcity follow.

Clearly, this is my stuff and my journey, but I cannot be the only one who A) feels similarly; and B) would have benefited from learning how to create, set, and achieve goals/objectives.


Grounded, I am not.

If you know me, you know that I am anything but grounded.  Love it or hate it, that’s who I am.  I am ambitious.  I want to do this and I want to do that.  I always have the same long-term goals in my mind, inspiring the world, one by one, to smile from the inside, however, the approach and what’s next shifts and changes often enough to irritate me from to time.

I wish I could be like Jim Carrey, who wrote himself a check for $10 Million, placed it in his wallet, carried it around with him everywhere, and then two years later, was offered his first big movie for $10 Million.  Again, I wish I could be like that.  I even, funny enough, wrote myself a check for $5 Million dollars and put the date of January 1, 2016.  Really?  I mean, that’s just crazy.  Sure I have income from my first book, but it’s not pouring in yet.  So what can I do?

I once read, in order to earn $50 Million, I need to put $50 Million dollars of value into the Universe.  Sure, it could be the myriad of books I have brewing in my mind, or one of my various TV treatments in development, or my eventual Oprah-like TV Show.   Realistically though, I need to shift my focus or objectives and take smaller steps to achieve greatness.


My Epiphany - Long Term Goals vs. Short Term Goals

I was sitting with my friend/Life Coach, when she and I both arrived at the same epiphany.  If I continue making long-term and lofty plans, I will never get anything done AND I may just be a little disappointed over and over again.  I’m much better at short-term and more reasonable goal-setting - three-month goals and/or six-month goals.  Any more than that and I become easily clouded like I have been from time to time over the past eight years since I started coaching and declared my vision in this life.


Have you heard of SMART Goals:

Now, we’re talking.  Here is something I wish they had taught me back in Highschool.  I call it Life 101 Skills.  It is essential if you want to get anything done.


Specific – Are you specific enough in your goal/objective?
Measurable – Is there a tangible to measure your goals within the time period allotted?
Attainable – Are your goals attainable?
Reasonable, Relevant, and Resources - Identify the resources/tasks necessary.
TimeLine - What are the target dates?


Conclusion:


To each their own, right?  Don’t you wish we had learned the above basic yet extremely necessary skill?  As for me, it goes without saying, I will keep you apprised of my own journey.  As for you, re: success and goal-setting/achieving, you have to find and do what’s right for you.  AND, as in all life, take what resonates and speaks to you, discard the rest, and make up the rest on your own.

Click Here for Pic

A Smile From The Inside Production :)

No comments:

Post a Comment