Monday, July 1, 2013

IT'S JUST TOO IMPORTANT NOT TO SPEAK ABOUT...


Click Here for Pic


Marriage Equality.  Congratulations, Jeff Zarrillo and Paul Katami!

Last Wednesday at 7:00am / 10:00am, history was made by the U.S. Supreme Court.

I don't know about you, but it was a little bittersweet for me.

In one minute, all gays in the United States in an instant were, for the first time EVER, viewed as equals under the eyes of the Law.  For the first time EVER, marriage equality was actually honored.

The moment I heard about DOMA, I was extremely overwhelmed.  So much so, that I broke down in tears.  I called  my parents right away.  All I could say was hello to my father.  I just couldn't say anything else.  I was choking back the tears.  He asked if everything was okay.  All I could mutter was, "Did you hear?" Sniffle.  Sniffle.  Tear.  Tear.  "I can get married now".  That's it.  I started crying yet again.  I really couldn't speak.  I really didn't expect to so emotional.  My dad was beyond elated and I could hear the pride in his every breathe.  He was as amazed and happy as I was.

It was about fifteen to twenty minutes later when we found out that the Prop 8 case had no standing.  Of course it didn't.  I mean, the SCOTUS wants to reflect the changing times in their decisions, but they in no way want to be trendsetters.  Had they ruled it unconstitutional as well, it would have set the trend of the rest of the United States and opened up the door for every state straight away.  I felt a little robbed.  I felt like why didn't they go all the way!

With DOMA being struck down, the SCOTUS decision allows for the states to make their own decisions moving forward.  I am sure that every American now realizes that it's just a matter of time before all fifty states allow marriage for all citizens.  I guestimate it will probably take another five years for all states to recognize "marriage equality."  Would you agree?

About an hour later, my mother telephoned me.  She started off the conversation apologetically by telling me why she hadn't called me earlier, including details about her dentist appointment, etc...  Then, she took one breathe, and congratulated me and we both started crying together.  It was an extremely tender moment.  She was proud.  She was delighted.  I was proud.  I was delighted.   I was emotional the whole entire day.

I am here to tell you that while this is an incredible triumph, there is still much work to be done by the States and the government.

Congratulations to all the gays about to be married in California in the upcoming months...and years!


FINAL THOUGHTS:
1) My little hen, Daisy, has reproductive cancer.  It's only a matter of time.  I'll discuss more next week. You have my word.
2) Life is a crazy series of "Money Pits" and "Planes, Tranes, & Automobiles." Our job is to not only weather the storm, but enjoy each and every moment of it.


“After last week’s decision by the Supreme Court holding that Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) is unconstitutional, President Obama directed federal departments to ensure the decision and its implication for federal benefits for same-sex legally married couples are implemented swiftly and smoothly. To that end, effective immediately, I have directed U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to review immigration visa petitions filed on behalf of a same-sex spouse in the same manner as those filed on behalf of an opposite-sex spouse.” - Janet Napolitano (Thanks, Lavi and best wishes)

A Smile From The Inside Production :)

No comments:

Post a Comment