Monday, July 8, 2013

DO YOU THINK YOU KNOW WHAT AUTHENTICITY IS?


Click Here for Quote

I was going to give you the 4-1-1 on my dying hen with reproductive cancer, but that's depressing and sad, not to mention that bitch is still alive. 

I had a fascinating coaching session today.  The client advised me that I was the only person with whom they felt completely authentic.  As a coach, I take that as one of the biggest compliments.  I mean, it's not every day that someone tells you that.

What is the definition of Authenticity?  Merriam-Webster defines authenticity as "true to one's own personality, spirit, or character".   I define authenticity as "the ability to own your truth and honesty while the good, the bad, and the ugly fester within, and it's all good, no matter where you are, no matter what the situation."

With whom in your life are you most authentic?  Are you more honest and genuine in some of your relationships rather than others?  Why not all?

Click Here for Quote/Pic

Living in LaLa Land (which I truly think is only an Angeleno term), we are bombarded with acquaintances.  Acquaintances are not true friends.  If they were friends, you would call them friends.  These are people we hang with and they tend to be a great deal of fun.  You might meet 'em at the bars or the clubs.  You don't talk about dying hens or your work issues, you keep things light.  You know,  superficial stuff.   And, trust me, we all need those types of people in our lives.  At the end of the day, do you ever let them see you sweat?  Of course, not.  Are they going to be the one person you call when you discover you might have another cancerous mole on your back?

I don't know about you, but I strive for more...in all of my relationships.  Not every relationship is perfect, nor even ideal.  My intention, however, is always clear.

All of my friends, at one point or another, have turned to me stating that they need to surround themselves with positive people ONLY going forward.  I get that.  Completely.  I have felt that way many times in my life.   I now think that, better said, we must endeavor to surround ourselves in relationships where we FEEL 100% comfortable and where we can BE 100% authentic without fear of judgment, negativity, or all-around bad energy, right?

Forget de-friend'ing people on Facebook, sometimes, for our own sanity, we need to re-evaluate our friends and start de-friending for real. We must make a concerted effort to be authentic in all relationships.   Being honest and being genuine despite everything else out there is NOT easy.  It is a daunting task with incredible challenging moments, super highs, and super lows.  

I had an incredible dinner with one of my besties, who's more like a sister to me, H.  It was an incredible dinner because 1) she was with me; 2) we both got emotional and shared how much we meant to one another; and 3) it reminded me of why friends are the family we choose in life.  Thanks, H.  xoxo.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
1 - I think the most beautiful relationships in the world are built on trust, communication, authenticity, and love.  You can never go wrong.

2 - The favorite compliment I hear is that i am "refreshing".   Clearly, I don't hear it quite enough.  It makes me so unbelievably happy.  It makes me smile from the inside and reminds me that's why I'm here now.

3 - Own your truths.  All of them.  Be honest.  Be genuine.  Be straight forward.  Be who you are 100% of the time.  Be amazing.  Be refreshing!

4 - Maintain authentic relationships as much as humanly or spiritually possible.

Click here for Quote

A Smile From The Inside Production :)

No comments:

Post a Comment