Thursday, May 9, 2013

FOUR THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE YOU START YOUR OWN BLOG!


Click Here for Beautiful Pic of Vietnam

Life is vast, crazy, and full of surprises...just like the above pic.

As I'm building my way to success, slowly but surely, through accolades and simple praise for my featured blogs in the Huffington Posts, GreenlightJobs.com, and International coaching Federation sites, I have discovered the following concepts. AND since some of you have been curious about starting your own blogs, I thought I would save you the trouble of learning from my failures and mistakes. 

1.  Editorial contents are cute, but not necessary!

Believe it or not, I literally have four months full of editorial content for this blog?  Meaning, if I was ever stumped for a weekly blog topic, I could casually refer to my awesome Excel worksheet, find my next suggested/pre-planned topic scheduled, and go with God.  Would you believe that I have never EVER had to peruse my enthusiastically ambitious list for a topic?  I don't know what it is about me that I seem to always find a delicious concept on which to explore.  It's a delicate combination of inspiration, irritation, or pure good times!  


2.  Never underestimate the importance of a catchy title. 

Catchy titles rule the roost. And who should know better about hens than me, right?  But, I digress.

Titles are in my opinion more important than good writing.   And I am not in a Marketer.  I mean, I don't know about you, but I have read some terrible blog posts.  Upworthy has taught me a little bit about securing attention by having the most amazing and exhilarating titles of all.  Check them out!  Why just yesterday, they came out with this:  "The Classy Way to Take On People Who Hate You!" or "Some Strange Things Are Happening To Astronauts Returning To Earth!"  You are just hooked from the very start.  That's what you need to do.  I'm getting better, but sometimes I fall back into my old patterns.  Thoughts?

3.  Never judge your writing by its own cover!

I wish I could predict which blogs will do better than others, but I have learned differently.  Let's face it...sometimes you can spend hours or even days on one blog.  Sometimes by the time you submit or publish the blog, you are OVER it.  At least that happens to me.  Oddly enough, the blogs which I still LOVE at the submission point are usually the ones where no one will comment.  It's the blogs that I am completely OVER that seem to generate the biggest buzz amongst my readers.  Similarly with my first blog article for the Huffington post, 9-Million Strong and Counting.  It was actually a sample blog.  It wasn't even finalized.  They LOVED it.  Huh?  I was so confused.  So, never judge your writing by your feelings.  Trust that someone will enjoy it.  

4.  Don't just post everywhere and every two hours.  Post strategically. 

Annoying your friends is NOT the way to go.  I'm sure we've all done it though.  With each post, add some value to your fb/twitter companions.  People are more likely to "Like" or "Share" if they find significant value or identify strongly with your introduction blurbs.  I need to remember this more.  Also, be strategic in the posting times.  There are higher traffic times throughout certain parts of the day, like, between 1 and 2pm, and between 5 and 7pm.  Who knows why?  Do research and find out more highly trafficked time!

Small little ideas:  Be brief.  Make clear points.  And please please double-check your spelling.  One mistake, no worries.  Two mistakes, okay.  Three mistakes...ugh.  :)

That's it for now, my friends.  Take care and remember, Your Best is Always Yet To Come.  xoxo.



FINAL THOUGHTS:
1)  Next radio appearance will be on The Donna Seebo Show, May 21at at 9am ( pst ). Check her out here... Look for my name!  Yay!
2)  Check out this hilarious little article re: French Bulldogs!
3)  After months of searching, I start a new HR Operations consulting gig next week.  I might even get to travel to Sioux Falls, South Dakota.  It's all very exciting!  Hopefully, it will turn full time over the next few months!  Wish me luck!
4)  Have an incredible week!
5)  Major shout out to Delaware!!!  Rock on!!!  Soo, everyone will be able to get married except for California and New York, where statistically there are probably more gays than in all other states combined.  Just saying!  :)



A Smile From The Inside Production :)

No comments:

Post a Comment