Wednesday, March 13, 2013

WHAT ON EARTH COULD CHICKENS TEACH US?


Daisy and Griselda - During The Change

Chicken wisdom.  I know, I know.  It sounds crazy, but allow me to explain.  The following are eight principles that we, as human beings, could stand a great deal to remind ourselves daily.

Chicken Wisdom #1)  If one chicken lays, all of the chickens lay.  If one chicken stops laying, all of the chickens stop laying.  Hasn't your mother ever said, "If everyone jumps off a bridge, would you jump too?"  Well, if it were up to my chickens, they would all jump.  As humans, we are definitely herding animals.  We like to feel secure, we like to belong, and we like to create families.  Unique and individual choices are what makes us who we are, as spiritual beings having a physical existence.  Be unique!

Chicken Wisdom #2)  They appear to be tough as nails on the outside, but are super delicate and frail birds on the inside.  So many people wear masks of fortitude while underneath, they are tender and sensitive little flowers.  For chickens, it's a combination of survival of the fittest and instinct.  For homo sapiens, it's a combination of the residue from past experiences and our current informed behavioral choices.  Either way, it's not bad or good, but it is important for us to be aware of how we come across to others.  Don't you agree?  Be authentically you at all times!

Chicken Wisdom #3)  Everyone loves attention, even chickens.  A little bit of tender care (pun intended) is always appreciated. We all could stand to use a bit more attention from those around us.  We all want to be primped, pampered, and adored like the princes and princesses of the Medieval ages.  My chickens consistently remind me to give the people closest to me a bit more attention.  Everyone loves attention.  Give more today!

Chicken Wisdom #4)  Contrary to popular belief, chickens love to be loved.  I don't know if you have had many experiences around chickens in your life.  Up until I had my own, I always knew chickens to run away AND fast, from humans.  My chickens, however, love to play hard to get, but deep down they really love to be loved and petted.  Interesting tidbit, the more love you show them, the more they'll keep coming back.  Hmmm.  That doesn't sound familiar at all.  (Note the sarcasm!)  Love each and every day a little bit more!

Chicken Wisdom #5) Interspecies playing is fantastic! Vinnie and Trixie, my goats, tolerate (and I don't really like using that word) the chickens.  Maggie, my French bulldog, tolerates the goats and the chickens.  The chickens however accept the goats and accept Maggie.  In fact, there were a few months where Sparkle would tease Maggie so that she would chase her around the backyard.  It was the cutest thing ever.  I love Interspecies play.  If only, we, as sentient beings could do a better job at that, right?  Acceptance isn't even enough anymore (like I say multiple times in Book, "How I Learned To Smile From The Inside"), we all must learn to EMBRACE all others, regardless of their species type, racial type, sexual preference, etc...  

Chicken Wisdom #6)  They accept their position as lowest man on the totem pole with respect and move on.  One of the most amazing things about chickens is their contentment and attachment with their present.  In other words, they not only accept they are the lowest man on the pecking block, but they actually Embrace it.  They are sooo present sometimes it's scary.  It's scary because sometimes they might not notice the occasional falcon or hawk that frequents our backyard until after the swooping sound occurs next to their little beaks.  Thank God, they've missed a few times.  So, Embrace where you are and be present!  Not so much though that you lose sight for those individuals who want to take advantage.

Chicken Wisdom #7)  The Annual Change.  Once a year, if they are lucky, the hens molt.  This is a process (photo above) where they lose all of their feathers, their tails, etc... over the course of a couple of weeks.  It is not pretty and they are completely "embarrassed" by their appearance, so they stay quiet, their personalities shrink, and they do NOT want to be touched because it hurts.  Amazing, huh?  We, all animals, pass through some difficult times.  Lucky thing for the hens, they end up looking more beautiful than when they started.  It is quite the process to watch.  Therefore, I say to you, my fellow human beings, no matter what happens, we will always come out stronger, wiser, and more beautiful after each traumatic experience.  If you don't believe me, read my book.  (Sorry, I had to get one more plug in here!)

Chicken Wisdom #8)  They are the closest animal on the planet to dinosaurs.  They eat, shit, sleep, and eat some more.  Their lives are clear and straight forward.  They are rough, tough, and brutal to other hens when they so choose to be.  Their whole lives revolve around eating, sleeping, and relieving themselves.  Priorities.  When was the last time you sat down in silence and considered your priorities.  My hope for all of you is that you never be too caught up in your lives that you cannot see the basic needs and priorities of our civilization.  If we continue down the path we humans are on, there is a possibility that we might become extinct sometime soon in the future too!  Not chickens though.  They will be around forever!  Priorities for you, and then the rest of the world.  Do Better, Be Better!


FINAL THOUGHTS:
1)  It looks like I'm going to have surgery on my left ankle...because I tore all three ligaments and at least one has to be re-attached.  I'm not a happy camper!  :(
2)  I submitted my second blog post for the International Coaching Federation (ICF).  It's all about how, as coaches, we can learn a great deal from Vinnie and Trixie (my goats).  Lol.
3)  Last week's blog post was my most visited yet.  I am approaching 10,000 unique hits in total and I am Psyched!
4)  If you liked my blog, SHARE it.  If you don't, then don't say a word!
Click Here for Pic

You can join the fun at:
Pinterest:  http://pinterest.com/smileinside24/
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/SmileFTI
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/smilefromtheinside24
Linked-In:  http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Smile-From-Inside-4799552
Seth's FaceBook:  https://www.facebook.com/sethesantoro
Seth's Twitter: https://twitter.com/sethesantoro
Website:  www.sethsantoro.com or www.smilefromtheinside.com

You can purchase "How I Learned To Smile From The Inside" at the following sites:

Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/How-Learned-Smile-From-Inside/dp/1478319232/
CreateSpace:  https://www.createspace.com/3936855
BN.com:   http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/how-i-learned-to-smile-from-the-inside-seth-e-santoro-cec/1114490076?ean=9781478319238

A Smile From The Inside Production :)

No comments:

Post a Comment