Wednesday, February 13, 2013

HOW BEING TEMPORARILY HANDI-CAPPED HAS CHANGED MY LIFE...


Click Here for @DirtyPop108

With my book coming out last Friday, it has been quite the week for me.

Because of my ankle, I have noticed my injury is slowing me down.  Everywhere.  Everyday.  All the time.

According to my podiatrist, I am now temporarily handicapped.  Apparently, it's not an avulsion fracture, as he first thought.  Nope, it's worse.  Out of the three ligaments that surround the ankle bones, I have slightly torn two of them, and completely shredded the other, which it seems will be irreparable without surgery.  So, now I get to go to Physical Therapy.  Yay!  I cannot wait to meet my $6,000 deductible this year.  Good times!

Therefore, I have decided to make a list.  Here is my short and sweet list.  They are lessons we all need ro remind ourselves from time to time.

The Five Best Things About Being Temporarily Handi-capped:

5)  I don't have to work out.  As a gay man in West Hollywood, there is a "little" pressure to look good.  I'm not saying I give in to that pressure, but I do like to look good.  Well, now I have a legitimate excuse NOT to go to the gym for the next 4-6 weeks, at least.  I mean, I could go, but I really need to stay off my foot as much as possible, right?  That's what the doctor told me anyway!

4)  I get to slow down my roll, literally.  Given I cannot walk as fast and since I hobble everywhere, I am starting to see the world just a little bit differently.  Slowing down is an incredible exercise in patience and reflection.  I mean, why do I always rush to the bathroom at work?  Or why do I always rush back to my seat after going to the bathroom?  It is actually really refreshing to take a leisurely stroll to the bathroom and return.  The work will still be there upon your return, right?  Take things a bit slower.  Allow some time to take things in.  You might just learn something about yourself...or you might just get irritated.  Either way, you become more aware of your own habits, idiosyncrasies, and hang ups.

3)  People don't expect quite as much and neither should you.  As most of you probably know, I am not only a perfectionist and a non-procrastinator, I am also an insanely hard worker.  It's been really really amazing now that people's expectations have softened.  I have even relaxed a little upon my own expectations of "Perfect" work.  I am usually going twenty-four seven and I now can allow myself to take it easy and take care of myself.  It's been a little bit of a stress reliever, especially after last week's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day!

2)  Speaking of relaxing, it's okay to relax and put your feet up.  It's an amazing excuse to put up your feet after a long hard day at work.  I truly don't think we put our feet up enough.  In the future, I might just do it... just because.

1)  The #1, hands down, best thing about being temporarily handicapped is that I have now secured a Temporary Handi-capped Placard.  I don't know if I can express to you how unbelievable this placard is... especially in LA.  Picture it.  Traffic everywhere, there is never anywhere to park.  Every neighborhood has parking restrictions, rules, and regulations.  Even if you have read the street signs five times over, there's always something!  It's safe to say that it is pretty customary to get 3-4 tickets per year.  Anyway... now, I can park almost anywhere; I don't have to pay meters; and I don't have to worry about which zone I am in, the district, the time, or anything.  OMG...it's the best thing ever.


HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!


FINAL THOUGHTS:
1)  Just in case you haven't heard, my book, "How I Learned To Smile From The Inside" is now available online.  Just saying!
2)  Check me out on my very first press interview this Friday, on Sirius XM's @DirtyPop108 with @LanceBass on Channel 108.  It will air live from 6-8pm (est) and then again at 11p-1am (est).  I am still in a state of shock over it!
3)  I sure aim large when it comes to distribution.  The very first place I approached was Target.  Excuse me?  Yes, Target.  It turns out that a friend of one of my fave cousins, Bambi, just happens to work at the Corporate Headquarters in Minnesota.  Long story short, my book's fate now lies in the hands of the Head Book Buyer as of this morning.  Fingers crossed.
4)  I'm actually very surprised that more of my friends, family, and acquaintances have not yet purchased my book.  At first, I was disappointed.  Then, I was angry.  Someone then pointed out that it is like fundraising.  You shouldn't take it personally either way.  Grrrr!
5)  This blog, Smile From The Inside, has officially been around one year...and I'm happy to report I am just shy of 10,000 unique hits.  I guess that's impressive.  Who knows?
6)  Lastly, I would LOVE it if you would SHARE a picture of my Book when you receive it in the mail.  It makes me feel so special.  Shout out to my pen-pal from seventh grade, Katie (Mann) Silva, who did just that and completely made my day!  xoxo.

Click Here for Pic


YOU can join the fun at:
Pinterest:  http://pinterest.com/smileinside24/

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/SmileFTI
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/smilefromtheinside24
Linked-In:  http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Smile-From-Inside-4799552
Seth's FaceBook:  https://www.facebook.com/sethesantoro
Seth's Twitter: https://twitter.com/sethesantoro
Website:  www.sethsantoro.com or www.smilefromtheinside.com


A Smile From The Inside Production :)

No comments:

Post a Comment