Sometimes I just watch "Vinnie" and "Trixie Van Goat" in amazement. They are ZEN warriors and they are definitely exemplary masters of the Smile From The Inside way of living. Here is just a tiny list of things we humans can learn from my goats.
1. BE PLAYFUL...ALL THE TIME
I have never ever seen the like in any animal especially in any "pet" I have had the pleasure of owning. Trust me, there have been probably over FIFTY animals including but not limited to horses, cows, rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs, birds, dogs, fish, cats, etc... Anyway...they constantly act as if life is just one big playful recess. God bless, right?
2. LIVE LIFE ON THE EDGE
They climb to the highest reaches of their goat jungle gym, nap on top of the huge recycle bins, test the severity of the current to our electric fences. These goats consistently teeter on the brink of danger at least ten times a day. It's refreshing to watch!
3. ITS' ALL ABOUT THE FOOD!
If you know goats, you'll understand this one. They aren't like our pot-bellied pig neighbor, Delilah. They won't eat anything and everything. Nope. They are completely picky eaters. And they are fickle eaters too. Some weeks they LOVE the clementines, whereas the next, not so much. Though these kosher creatures might have unique and different fancy tastes, Vinnie and Trixie have one thing in common, no matter what their palette craves, they definitely enjoy each and every bite, even at the bitter end. Oh yeah, and just like any human, they get a tad concerned when there is no Alfalfa Hay in their hanging feeder (a/k/a their version of an outdoor fridge).
4. WHERE'S THE LOVE?
Whenever Vinnie and Trixie hear the beep of our house alarm when we enter or leave the premises, one can always hear the faint sound of their little vocals cords saying, "Come visit me!" Once the door opens to the backyard, they always come over to the entrance of their pen. They love us. They love people. And, they might back away at first, but they will never refuse an extremely tight bear hug. So cute!
5. THEY DON'T GIVE A "SHIT" ABOUT WHAT OTHER GOATS THINK
Case and Point: They shit wherever they feel like shitting and they pee whenever and wherever they feel like peeing. They don't care what anyone else thinks, not us, not Maggie, not the chickens...absolutely no one. It must be nice!
6. NATURE VS. NURTURE?
Just like us sentient beings, Vinnie and Trixie maintain the very same DNA as well as the fact that they were socially brought up in our fabulous gay backyard. So, why is Vinnie gay and Trixie straight? Go figure? The debate goes on...
7. BE MASTER ESCAPE ARTISTS
In case you don't know, Goats can escape from any fence, any pen, or any situation if the threat is enough to endanger their lives. It is incredible to watch them scale a six foot fence with just two steps (or hops, rather). We could definitely learn a thing or two about escaping from dangerous situations. Don't you agree?
8. JUST WALK IT OFFTrixie likes to test her agility every time we turn around. When she gets hurt physically or emotionally, she makes a little goat-noise squabble, shares her woe with Vinnie for a two-second bit, and then walks and shakes it off. Now, that's inspiring.
9. REST WHEN YOU ARE TIRED AND NAP DURING THE DAYLIGHT HOURSWhen no one is watching, or the hens are silently laying, sometimes, you can catch a rare glimpse of Vinnie and/or Trixie resting their little bodies. Always safely. Always comfortable. One in a great while, you might even see them napping with their eyes closed. Delicious.
10. BE CURIOUS ABOUT EVERYTHINGIf there is one thing about goats you probably know, it's that they are curious 100% of the time. They explore. They circumvent. They plot. Usually, their behavior is all about mischief. Vinnie and Trixie carry within them a great light of curiosity and it's infectious. At least to me!
I'm sure I will write more about Vinnie and Trixie in the future. I just thought I would change the vibe for this week's blog entry.
1) This week, I will be submitting my manuscript and all respective material to my publisher. AWESOME!!! Next week, I will commence the 30-day countdown for my book, How I Learned To Smile From The Inside.
2) I want to wish you all an incredible and healthy Happy Hanukkah!
Some Goat Quotes:
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will spend it’s whole life thinking it’s a goat. (Albert Einstein)
The Fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.