Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE INTERVIEW...


video

Let's face it!  Looking for a job definitely sucks!  It's frustrating.  It's annoying.  It's emotional taxing.  And, it's even harder searching for that next big career move, if it's not what you want to do for the rest of your life.  I just thought it might help me to share one of the funniest and most awkward experiences with you, since it is exactly what i'm going through right now...

Dream-Marriage.com

During this post, at the proper moment, i will ask you to check out the above website.  So, about 2 months ago, i was driving in my car when i received a phone call from a very professional sounding man.  His demeanor was confident, attractive, and determined to find an amazing COO for his company.  I was thrilled. When i asked him the name or website of the company, i thought he said Green-Marriage.com.  It was over the car phone loudspeaker, ok!  Truth be told, i always do my due diligence when it comes to an interview.  I visit the website, read through the "who's who" and am always prepared with at least one or two questions from the information ascertained on the website.  Well...this time, 12 hours prior to my interview (which i was very excited for!!!), i started to do research on "Green Marriage" and found very little.  I was discouraged and then figured i would try again the following morning.  Sad to say, i did not have time the next morning.  

The interview was definitely set for 12pm and when i called to tell the gentlemen, i was running about 5 minutes behind, he assured me that i had made a mistake and the interview was at 1pm.  I was overjoyed actually because i was two blocks away from hands down the best deli in all of Los Angeles, Judy's Deli in Beverly Hills.  (For those of you who do NOT live in LA, we have very few delis, and they are in no way, shape or form, even close to that dive delis in NYC that are scrumptious!)  Anyway...that was the first sign that perhaps this was not the best fit for me.  The building was extremely posh and in downtown Beverly Hills, so i figured it must be a well-funded non-profit, right?  Wrong. 

When I arrived, i went to the top floor of this posh building only to find out that it was one of those shared office spaces with about 5 other business on that floor.  How did i notice?  I listened to the Receptionist answer about 5 different phone lines over the span of literally 5 minutes.  When i checked in early, i inquired as to the name of the Company once again.  The receptionist informed me that it was called Dream Marriage.  I quickly took advantage of the 15 minutes remaining prior to my interview to research and review the website.  Check it out for yourself.  Dream-Marriage.  It just happens to be the #1 site for Hot Russian Brides (Georgian and Ukranian women too).  Um...yeah.  So, i can't even tell you my surprise.  It takes a lot to shock me...and i was shocked, embarrassed, and above all, so disappointed that this could have been a great opportunity.  I immediately texted my bf and a bff to ask for their opinion and forwarded them the website address.  I mean, come on...how was i actually going to be serious in this interview???  They both were in stitches laughing...but that didn't help me.  I had about 10 minutes before I had to be the best me in an interview for this company.  Both were extremely encouraging and thought it would be a good experience for me either way because we don't really know what it is.  My bf asked me to film the entire experience.  I was tempted, let me tell you.  But that's the last time i ask them for interview advice.  JK.

When the interviewer came to collect me from the odd receptionist area, I was intrigued by the fact that he was a middle-aged, professional, father of two college-aged children, and the CFO-type.  He was dressed well, spoke very well, was extremely confident, and seemed to be 100% proud of where he worked.  Now, don't get me wrong, I like to think of myself as a pretty open guy, but this, even for me, was pushing the limits of even my moral/ethic compass.  All i could think of was Lisa Ling's expose on Our America talking about Mail Order Brides and how it was not only a legitimate business but it was also apparently a win-win-win situation for all parties involved.  I kept an open mind.  We started the interview and I just had to say something.  I told him that i had misheard him on the phone and had only recently (as in 10 minutes ago) been to the website and it was a little surprising to me.  I didn't really finish my question or thought when he interrupted with the best line of the day, "Dream Marriage is what i like to consider to be an international marriage agency.  We bring people together!...and there's no nudity on the website!"  I thought, this guy is a bit off his rocker, but okay, i'll continue regardless.  It was beyond.

To be honest, the interview, i thought went very well, and was even more exciting and fun given the provocative nature of the position and organization at hand.  He was an incredible guy with great experience in various industries.  He spoke about the company with great pride and fondness, advised me that it was a multi-multi million dollar enterprise, and that they were expanding into some luxurious markets as he relayed to me their plans of expansion into the Latina and Asian markets.  (Are you for real?)  Of course, I responded the only way i knew how..."That sounds excellent, and my fluency in Spanish would be a great asset to that endeavor".  Was I on drugs???  No.  Did i want the job???  A very small part of actually contemplated considering an interest in this "lucrative" business, as he described it various times...because the money was excellent, well into the six figures.  I managed not to laugh for the majority of the interview.  I mean, there were times when i just couldn't hold it in.  Perhaps that's why i didn't get a call back.  Oh well...

You know, even after that hilarious experience, i must say, i was a little disappointed when i didn't ear back!  I know that sounds crazy...but i would have enjoyed weighing the pros and cons of accepting a position like that.  Alas...I am going to keep my head high, and continue to envision the perfect role for me, with an amazing office overlooking the view of Beverly Hills, Century City, or Downtown Los Angeles.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

1) "Tomorrow is just more of God's Today..."  Dr. Michael Bernard Beckwith

2) If you are part of my Google Groups Distribution, be careful when you reply...as i have since discovered that all of your replies get circulated to the entire 150-person group.  I am working on changing that over the next few weeks.  Now, everyone calls me Farmer Joe and know that I have a very supportive aunt in New Haven that loves and adores me.  Hehe!

3) I am making a proclamation for myself.  I wish to have my first book in the Smile From The Inside trilogy completed and self-published by August 14, 2012 (my mother's birthday).  The book is entitled, "How I Learned To Smile From The Inside Out"!

4)  I would greatly appreciate it, if you like my blog, honestly, to SHARE it on FB or Twitter.  It would definitely help my following to grow.  I am averaging 800-1000 hits per month...but i want more!  So, please pass it along!

Love,
Seth(ie)
A Smile From The Inside blog...

Click Here for Article

2 comments:

  1. LOL!!! Oh Lordy...Just as long as you don't end up in the Middle East or lost in a desert somewhere, which is where I'm sure they are gonna expand to next...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just ask the immigration lawyer what mail order bride mills are all about. You'll get an earful. Wish you'd filmed it! Can't wait to read more about your adventures job hunting.

    ReplyDelete